This letter D craft with printable template is part of our letter of the week craft series, designed to foster letter recognition in preschoolers.
Last week we made a letter C is for Caterpillar craft. This week we move on to the letter D, and this week’s craft is a dog.
This craft requires cutting. Depending on the child’s age, you may want to do the tracing and/or the cutting for them. That way you can provide the child with the foam pieces to work with, and the child can simply glue them together. Meanwhile, you may want to allow older children, such as pre-k or kindergarteners, to work on their fine motor skills and try to cut the pieces out on their own, although they may still need some help tracing the template onto the foam pieces.
Letter D is for Dog
Supplies & Materials for Letter D Craft
- Letter D template, printed on paper or cardstock (get yours here: Letter D Printable Template)
- Dog template, printed on paper or cardstock (get yours here: Dog Printable Template)
- Craft foam or colored cardstock (we used craft foam but either one will work)
- Black marker
- Googly eyes
Letter D is for Dog Craft
1. Cut letter D out of the template.
2. Trace Letter D onto craft foam.
3. Cut the letter D out.
4. Cut dog shape out from template and trace onto white craft foam. Cut out.
5. Cut out black circles ranging in size for nose, ear, and the dog’s spots.
6. Glue black ear onto dog and cut off any excess white foam from behind.
7. Outline the dog with black marker.
8. Glue nose and spots onto the dog.
9. Cut off any excess.
10. Glue on googly eyes.
11. Glue the dog to the letter D.
I hope you enjoyed this fun letter D craft. Lookout next week for a letter E craft!
Until next time, happy crafting!