Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
This funfetti puppy chow is a fun combination of crispy Chex cereal and melted white chocolate, made colorful with sprinkles and funfetti cake mix, then tossed in powdered sugar for a sweet cake-batter flavored treat that everyone will love!
Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddies) is one of my favorite treats when I’m craving something sweet.
The fun, colorful addition of sprinkles and funfetti cake mix in this puppy chow recipe make it a unique treat to make for birthday parites or any other fun celebration.
Plus you will find that adults love this colorful snack mix just as much as kids do!
Two of the best things about this funfetti puppy chow recipe are that it is easy to make, and the ingredients are easy to find at any grocery store. You may already have most of them in your pantry! I like to keep them on hand to whip up a batch of birthday cake puppy chow whenever I get the craving.
To make this confetti puppy chow, you will simply toss your Chex cereal in melted chocolate, add in sprinkles, then toss your mixture into a mixture of the powdered sugar and funfetti cake mix. Then simply spread the mixture out to let it cool, then you can enjoy it. Easy peasy!
Why You’ll Love This Funfetti Puppy Chow
- It’s a delicious sweet treat!
- The sprinkles and confetti give this treat a colorful pop, making it perfect for birthday parties and other celebrations.
- The funfetti mix not only gives it a festive look but gives it a yummy cake batter flavor too.
- It looks super cute in treat bags, making it great for gifting or classroom parties.
- The ingredients are easy to find and the recipe is simple to make.
Ingredients For Your Funfetti Muddy Buddies
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Rice Chex cereal– the base of your puppy chow
- White candy melts– white melting chocolate or almond bark would work as well
- Confectioners sugar– coats the chocolate-covered chex to add sweetness and help them “set”
- Funfetti cake mix– combines with the confectioners sugar to give the chex mix its tasty cake batter flavor
- Sprinkles– adds a fun and festive pop of color
- microwave safe bowl
- instant read thermometer
- large mixing bowl
- gallon-size ziplock baggie
- wax paper or parchment paper
Cake Mix and Food Safety
Cake mix is not meant to be consumed uncooked. Although it is rare, the raw flour in the mix could be contaminated with bacteria that cause food-borne illness.
The good news is that the solution is simple: heat-treat the cake mix to kill off any harmful bacteria that may be present.
There are two methods to do this:
Heat-treat in the oven: Spread your cake mix on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350°F, or until the temperature of the mix reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
Heat-treat in the microwave: Place the cake mix in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until the temperature of the mix reaches 165°F (this should take about 90-120 seconds).
Visit this article for a more in-depth explanation of how to heat-treat flour.
How To Make Funfetti Puppy Chow
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Heat-treat the funfetti mix (see above) and allow it to cool to room temperature.
Step 2: Add Chex cereal to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Place the candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until they are smooth and completely melted.
Step 4: Pour the melted candy over cereal and stir gently to coat.
Step 5: Add the sprinkles in by the Tablespoon, gently stirring the whole time. Do not overmix or it can cause the sprinkles to melt.
Step 6: Add the cake mix and powdered sugar to a gallon-size zip-top baggie. Seal the bag and give it a shake to combine.
Step 7: Open the bag, add half of the candy-coated cereal, close the bag, and gently shake to coat the cereal. It is ready when the cereal is coated and is no longer sticky. If the cereal is not coated enough, add more powdered sugar by the Tablespoonful. Once you are done with the first half of the Chex, repeat the process with the second half.
Step 8: Empty the muddy buddies out onto wax or parchment paper and allow to cool before storing or serving.
What to Serve/Pair with Your Puppy Chow
- This Puppy Chow makes a great addition to a treat bag! Throw in a few pieces of individually wrapped dark chocolates, and you have a sweet little treat that anyone would appreciate.
- Are you putting this Puppy Chow on a dessert tray? Add these Peanut Butter Cup Cookies and these yummy Hidden Kiss Pudding Cookies. Both are delicious sweet treats and look great on a platter.
- Want an adult drink to go with your Funfetti Muddy Buddies? Try this colorful, tasty Easy Pink Moscato Sangria Recipe.
- If you want to make your puppy chow extra sweet, add in some M&M’s. This also gives it even more color!
- To make this a fun treat for any holiday, add festive sprinkles: hearts for Valentine’s Day, shamrocks for St. Patrick’s Day, etc…
If stored in an air-tight container, this puppy chow will last about a week at room temperature. You can also store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Puppy Chow Recipe FAQs
Sure, but keep in mind that the sprinkles won’t “pop” as much with the darker chocolate.
Yes! Feel free to add anything that you may find in traditional Chex Mix, such as pretzels or nuts. Keep in mind that if you do this, you may want to add some extra melting candy.
Yes, if this is what you have on hand, feel free to use the store brand instead of actual Chex. In the spirit of full transparency, I do think that there is a difference in the taste and texture and recommend the Chex brand if you can find it. It seems to maintain its “crunch” a little better when tossed in the melted candy.
More Chex Mix and Puppy Chow Recipes
Funfetti Puppy Chow
- 5 cups rice Chex Mix cereal
- 10 ounces white candy melts
- ½ cup sprinkles
- 1 cup Funfetti cake mix
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- Heat-treat the cake mix: Place the funfetti cake mix in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until the temperature of the mix reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer (this should take about 90-120 seconds). Set the cake mix aside to allow to cool. *
- Add Chex cereal to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until they are smooth and completely melted.
- Pour the melted candy over cereal and stir gently to coat.
- Add the sprinkles in by the Tablespoon, gently stirring the whole time. Do not overmix or it can cause the sprinkles to melt.
- Add the cake mix and powdered sugar to a gallon-size zip-top baggie. Seal the bag and give it a shake to combine.
- Open the bag, add half of the candy-coated cereal, close the bag, and gently shake to coat the cereal. It is ready when the cereal is coated and is no longer sticky. If the cereal is not coated enough, add more powdered sugar by the Tablespoonful. Once you are done with the first half of the Chex, repeat the process with the second half.
- Pour the puppy chow out onto wax or parchment paper. Allow it to set and cool completely before storing or serving.