Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
An easy Italian ricotta cake recipe with a layer of moist butter cake and a creamy ricotta filling.
For another delicious ricotta dessert try this creamy 5-ingredient cannoli dip recipe.
Looking for a simple ricotta cake recipe? Look no further because it doesn’t get any easier than this ricotta cake made with cake mix.
Made with ricotta cheese, a box of cake mix, and eggs, this cake is moist, dense, and full of flavor.
Ricotta Cake With Cake Mix
But you all know I love me a good shortcut. That is why I love this easy Italian cake recipe so much!
It tastes like it was made from scratch but in reality, it starts with a box of cake mix and tastes barely any effort to make.
How to Make Ricotta Cheese Cake at Home
Time for me to show you just how easy this cake is to make.
As always, start by gathering your ingredients.
- butter cake mix + the ingredients called for on box (likely eggs, water, and butter)
- ricotta cheese
- powdered sugar, for topping
Helpful Baking Supplies
Making the cake
Preparing the Italian cheesecake is as easy as 1,2,3.
- Mix the butter cake batter as directed on the box and pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the cake batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown on top, dust with powdered sugar, and enjoy!
In some sort of baking magic, the ricotta cheese layer will be under the cake layer after baking. The science of baking never ceases to amaze me!
Can you use another kind of cake mix?
Absolutely! White cake mix or vanilla cake mix both work well as a substitute for butter cake mix.
Does ricotta cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes! Cover any leftovers with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can let the cake sit at room temp for a few minutes before serving but to be honest, we like to enjoy it straight from the fridge.
Can you freeze ricotta cake?
Yes! After baking, allow the cake to cool to room temperature. Then, double wrap it in plastic wrap. It should keep for about a month or so in the freezer. Defrost the cake in the refrigerator.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Easy Ricotta Cake
- 15.25 ounce butter cake mix + ngredients called for on the box (likely eggs, water, and butter)
- 4 large eggs
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prep a 15 x 10 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix as directed. Pour batter into baking dish.
- In the same bowl, mix to combine the remaining 4 eggs, ricotta, sugar, and vanilla. Spoon evenly over the cake batter in the baking dish.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Pin for Later: