Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Inside: How to make DIY cleaning wipes that are great for quick clean-ups in the kitchen or anywhere around the house.
I love the convenience of cleaning wipes. They make it super easy to wipe down the countertop after preparing a meal, clean up little spills on the floor, or wipe the apple juice off of our walls.
Yes, you read that correctly — apple juice on the walls. My toddler son has developed a bad habit of throwing his cup across the room when he doesn’t want anymore. They are spillproof cups, but it turns out that they are not throw-proof.
But that is a whole story for another post…
Anyhow, back to these awesome homemade cleaning wipes.
Whether you want to save some money (kitchen cleaning wipes ain’t cheap!) or you just enjoy the satisfaction of making your own cleaning supplies, you are going to love these homemade scented surface cleaning wipes.
They are very easy to make and great for cleaning all around the house.
Plus, they leave the room with a wonderfully fresh and clean scent.
DIY Cleaning Wipes
First, gathering everything you will need for this easy cleaning supplies DIY.
- large plastic coffee container, empty and cleaned out
- spray paint (optional)
- roll of paper towels
- distilled vinegar
- dish soap
- 1 lemon
- lavender essential oil
How to Make Homemade Cleaning Wipes
If you want to paint your container (totally optional) go ahead and give it a coat or two of spray paint.
You can leave the inside unpainted. Allow the paint to dry fully before moving on to the next steps.
Using scissors, cut a small slit or hole in the center of the lid. This will allow you to pull wipes out through the hole without opening the container.
Then, use a serrated bread knife to cut your roll of paper towels in half. Place half the roll into the coffee container.
You can use the other half in the kitchen or save them for the next time you make wipes.
In a large bowl, combine water, vinegar, dish soap, lavender essential oil, and the juice from your lemon. Mix it together. Then pour the mixture into the container, right over the paper towels.
Remove the cardboard tube from the center of the roll. The tube should be well saturated and easy to pull out.
Finally, pull a paper towel up through the center of the roll and thread it through the hole in the lid.
You are now ready to use your homemade wipes!
A quick note on choosing paper towels
It is best to use a cloth-like paper towel for this project. Cloth-like paper towels are more durable and hold up better when turned into cleaning wipes.
Don’t Miss These Other Easy DIY Projects for household supplies:
DIY Cleaning Wipes
- serrated knife
- empty large plastic coffee container
- spray paint optional
- roll of paper towels
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dish soap
- 1 large lemon
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil
- Clean and dry your coffee container. You can leave it as-is, or paint the outside with a coat or two of spray paint. If you opt to paint your container, allow it to dry fully before moving on to the following step.
- Use scissors to cut a small hole in the lid to allow you to pull out one cleaning wipe at one time.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the roll of paper towels in half. Place half the paper towel roll into the coffee canister. Save the remaining half for future use.
- In a large bowl, combine water, vinegar, dish soap, and lavender essential oil. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from both halves into the bowl. Stir the mixture well, then pour over the paper towels.
- Remove the cardboard tube from the center of the paper towels and discard. It should be saturated enough that it is easy remove.
- Pull a paper towel from the center of the roll and thread it up through the slit or hole in the lid. Place the lid on the container. Your wipes are all ready to use!
- It is best to use a cloth-like paper towel for this project. Cloth-like paper towels are more durable and hold up better when turned into cleaning wipes.
- Have an extra large surface wipe container left over from store-bought cleaning wipes? Use that instead! It is the perfect size and already has a hole in the top to pull the wipes through.
- If you are having difficulty removing the cardboard tube from the center of the paper towel roll, try putting the lid on the container and giving it a few good shakes to make sure the tube gets fully saturated. Wait a few minutes and it should be good to go.