Cat in the Hat cupcakes are the perfect treat to make for a Dr. Seuss Day party or Dr. Seuss birthday party. When it comes to Dr. Suess Day ideas, these Cat in the Hat cupcakes take the cake – pun intended!
If you are looking for fun Cat in the Hat inspired treats to help celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday a.k.a. Dr. Seuss Day, on March 2, you have come to the right place. We are absolutely crazy about how well these Cat in the Hat cupcakes came out. They are almost too cute to eat!
Made using boxed cake mix and premade frosting, the only thing you really need to spend time on is the Cat and the Hat topper that sits on top of the cupcakes.
While you can feel free to make your cupcakes and frosting from scratch, I find it easier to just use the store-bought mix and jarred icing. But hey, it is your call! If you got the time for from scratch, go for it!
Shop Cat in the Hat Cupcakes Supplies
- 24 vanilla cupcakes, prepared according to the directions on the box
- 2 jars of premade vanilla frosting
- sky blue gel food coloring
- 1 bag white chocolate melting wafers
- 24 Double Stuffed Oreos
- 1 bag red candy melts
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bag marshmallows (regular size)
- Add a few drops of blue gel food coloring to store bought frosting and mix well. Add additional drops as necessary to achieve desired shade of blue.
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag fitted with star tip and frost cupcakes.
- Melt white chocolate wafers using a double boiler or microwave.
- Dip an Oreo into melted chocolate and turn to ensure it is completely covered. Use a fork to carefully remove Oreo, tapping on edge of the pot to get rid of any excess chocolate. Then, place Oreo onto a cookie sheet fitted with parchment paper and repeat steps for remaining Oreos.
- Set dipped Oreos aside to allow time to harden completely.
- Melt red candy melts using double boiler or microwave. Once melted, stir in coconut oil (this will help thin out the candy melts).
- Dip 1/4 of the top of each marshmallow, carefully shaking off excess and placing onto cookie sheet to harden.
- Carefully remove each marshmallow and dip 1/4 of the bottom side into the red candy melts. Shake marshmallow to get rid of excess and place the just-dipped end onto the middle of an Oreo. Repeat until all hats are assembled, then allow time to harden completely.
- Once hardened, carefully place each Oreo onto cupcake.