Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats are a fun, easy to make, no-bake kids treat perfect for summer BBQs and parties.
Memorial Day is just about a month away. For us up here in New Jersey, Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of summer. The pool opens up for the season and lifeguards start patrolling the beach.
I think that I am more excited for the start of summer this year than I have been in my entire life. This will be my son’s first real summer (he was born last summer but was too little to enjoy it). Nathaniel loves water and I can’t wait to introduce him to the kiddie pool and the ocean. I am counting down the days!
If you are trying to come up with something different and easy to make for your summer BBQs and get togethers, you will love these cute watermelon rice krispies treats. Not only are they ridiculously easy to make but they are absolutely adorable as well.
Trust me, kids and adults alike can’t resist these cute little watermelon treats!
How to Make Watermelon Rice Krispies Treats
Now, you will need some supplies for this recipe: 2 round cake pans, gel food coloring, and parchment paper. Don’t let those 2 cake pans fool you – this recipe is indeed no bake. All you will need the pans for is to shape the Rice Krispies cereal into the desired watermelon shape.
You may be wondering why the recipe calls for gel food coloring rather than regular old food coloring. The truth is that regular food coloring will work too, although I have found that it doesn’t get you as ibrant of colors as the gel food coloring does. So if all you have on hand is regular food coloring, that will work.
If you want to make these watermelon treats into watermelon rice krispies pops, you can totally do that too by carefully pressing the treats onto popsicle sticks once they have set enough to handle.
More great summer party food ideas:
- Homemade Watermelon Lemonade
- Strawberry Ladybugs
- 27 Summer Pasta Salad Recipes
- Fruit Salsa
- Melting Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Iced Passion Fruit Tea Lemonade
- 6 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 16 oz miniature marshmallows, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- 1/4 cup Chocolate chips
- Line 2 round cake pans with parchment paper and set aside. (If you don't have parchment paper on hand use non-stick spray instead.)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add miniature marshmallows, reserving 1 cup for later. Stir until marshmallows are melted. Add 1 tsp vanilla and strip to combine.
- In a large bowl, pour melted marshmallows over Rice Krispies. Mix together. Stir in the last cup of mini marshmallows and stir to combine.
- Divide mixture into 2 bowls, putting about 2/5 in one bowl and 3/5 in another. Use food coloring to color the smaller amount green and the larger amount red.
- Use the green Rice Krispies to form the rind of the watermelon by placing it around the outside edge of the cake pan. Then, fill in the center of the cake pan with the red Rice Krispies to complete the watermelon. Press the Rice Krispies together gently in the pan to make sure that both colors form together.
- Add "seeds" by gently pressing chocolate chips into the red Rice Krispies.
- Allow to set for 1-2 hours before slicing into wedges and serving.
This recipe will make 2 pans of treats.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. Accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Pin for Later: