Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
A comforting one-dish ritz chicken casserole recipe with shredded chicken in a rich and creamy sauce topped with buttery Ritz crackers.
Creamy Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers
When it comes to quick and easy dinners, it doesn’t get much easier than this Ritzy chicken casserole.
The classic chicken casserole recipe is made with a short list of just 6 ingredients–some of which you likely have right now in your pantry.
It takes only 10 minutes to prep the chicken ritz casserole and then 30 minutes in the oven. You can’t beat that!
This chicken casserole is creamy, comforting, hearty, and just plain yummy. Topped with crunchy Ritz crackers, this easy chicken casserole is one of my family’s favorite recipes!
The buttery Ritz cracker topping gives the dish the perfect bit of crunch to complement the creamy chicken. So freakin’ good!
What Readers Are Saying
I made this the first time for a pot luck and got rave reviews! I’m making it for us this week for dinner. Easy and delicious! – Joyce
If your family is anything like mine they will love it and ask you to make it again and again.
Ingredients for Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
For this easy recipe you will need:
- Chicken: I like to use crockpot shredded chicken breasts or poached chicken for casserole recipes but store-bought rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, leftover chicken, or any other pre-cooked chicken work also.
- Cream of chicken soup: I prefer Cream of Chicken Soup with Herbs as it gives the dish some extra flavor but regular cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup can be used instead.
- Sour cream
- Italian Seasoning
- Ritz Crackers: Two sleeves of Ritz crackers roughly crushed. Bread crumbs or panko can be used in place of the crackers, but then it wouldn’t be a legit Ritz casserole. I have even heard of people who used potato chips!
- Butter: Salted or unslated. I try to use unsalted butter if I have it on hand because I figure that the Ritz crackers are salty enough already.
The following kitchen supplies are useful for making this recipe.
How to Make Ritz Chicken Casserole
- COMBINE: Stir casserole ingredients together and spoon into prepared baking dish.
- TOP: Sprinkle with crushed crackers and drizzle with melted butter.
- BAKE: Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes.
Serve with your favorite vegetable or a salad and enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, use the microwave for a quick warm-up or cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake until heated through.
Tips for the Best Casserole
- Even Butter: Drizzle melted butter evenly over Ritz crackers for a golden, crispy topping.
- Check Doneness: Bake until crackers are golden brown and the center is hot and bubbly.
- Customize Flavors: Experiment with different soup, seasoning, or veggie choices for a personalized twist.
Additions and Variations
- Cheese: Add a layer of shredded cheese between the chicken mixture and Ritz cracker topping for extra cheesy goodness.
- Vegetables: Mix some broccoli florets, green beans, or peas and carrots.
- Cottage Cheese: Combine some cottage cheese with sour cream for added creaminess and flavor.
- Poppy Seeds: Sprinkle poppy seeds generously over the Ritz cracker topping for a unique and slightly nutty flavor.
- Garnish: Although the ultimate comfort food, casseroles aren’t the most attractive meal. Add some color and elevate the presentation by topping your casserole with chopped green onions or fresh parsley.
FAQ: Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole Recipe
Absolutely! You can substitute cream of mushroom, cream of celery, or any other creamy soup you prefer.
Definitely! You can prepare the casserole ahead of time, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake. Just add a few extra minutes to the cooking time if it’s cold from the fridge.
You can crush them easily by placing the crackers in a zip-top bag and rolling over them with a rolling pin or using a food processor for quick results.
You can use a mix of dried basil or parsley, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Just about 1/8 of a teaspoon each. But if you don’t have some of the seasonings on hand I wouldn’t worry about it, it will taste delicious regardless!
More Family Favorite Easy Casseroles
Ritz Chicken Casserole
- 10.5 ounce cream of chicken soup with herbs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers crushed
- ½ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and coat a 2 quart (or 8 in. baking dish) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and Italian seasoning. Stir in chicken. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with crushed Ritz crackers and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 mins, or until crackers are golden and center is hot and bubbly.
- You can use Cream of Mushroom Soup or regular Cream of Chicken Soup in place of Cream of Chicken Soup with Herbs.
- While the recipe calls for Ritz crackers, you can use 1 cup of regular bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs instead.
- Add 1-2 cups broccoli florets, peas, or mixed veggies to the casserole for more of a balanced meal, if desired.