Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Soft and chewy lemon cake mix cookies are the ultimate easy lemon cookie recipe. The delicious cookies are bursting with lemon flavor and super easy to make with just 3 ingredients: a box of cake mix, eggs, and oil.
Easy Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Lemon desserts are a favorite in our house. There is just something about that combination of sweetness and tartness that we can’t get enough of.
Lately, I have found myself craving delicious lemon cookies.
Luckily, I have found that having warm and tasty just-from-the-oven lemon cake cookies doesn’t have to be difficult.
All you need is a box of lemon cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and this easy lemon cookie recipe!
Why you will love this recipe
- Bright lemon flavor in every bite.
- The easiest cookies you’ll ever make.
- Only 3 simple ingredients.
- Perfect for a special occasion, bake sale, or as a quick treat.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Lemon Cake Mix – I have used both Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines cake mixes with great results, but any 15.25-ounce boxed cake mix should be fine.
- Vegetable Oil – Canola oil can be used as well.
- Large Eggs
- Confectioners Sugar – Optional, for rolling the dough balls in to make lemon crinkle cookies.
How to Make 3 Ingredient Lemon Cookies From Cake Mix
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl until combined.
Step 2: Chill dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Step 3: Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Optionally, place confectioners sugar in a small bowl and roll each dough ball in it. Place 2 inches apart on lined baking sheets.
Step 4: Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on the sheet for a few minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
What readers are saying
I made these at a Christmas cookie party for the first time. There were 15-20 different cookies made and these lemon cookies were picked the favorite of everyone! Also shared with family and friends who loved them as well, everyone wanted your recipe. Thank you for sharing! – Dawn
Lemon Cookie Tips
- Chill the dough. For best results, chill your cookie dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. Chilling the dough works to prevent over-spreading in the oven.
- Keep the same size. Use a medium cookie scoop to make the size of your cookies the same to ensure even baking.
- Roll in sugar. Roll cookie dough balls in confectioners sugar (aka powdered sugar) before baking for a crinkle cookie effect.
Additions and Variations
These simple lemon cookies are incredible on their own, but sometimes it is fun to switch it up. Here are some simple ideas to try:
- Lemon Zest: Mix in the zest from one lemon into the dough. This gives your cookies a pop of fresh lemon flavor.
- Sweet Lemon Glaze: After the cookies cool down, mix 1 cup of confectioners sugar with 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice until it’s smooth. Use a spoon to drizzle this sweet glaze over the cookies.
- White Chocolate Chips: Fold some white chocolate chips into the dough for added sweetness that pairs perfectly with the cookies’ tangy lemon flavor.
- Lemon Extract: For cookies that pack an extra lemon punch, add up to 1 teaspoon of lemon extract to the dough to intensify the lemon flavor.
Feel free to play around with these ideas and see what you like best. You can even mix and match them to make your cookies just the way you want.
More Easy Lemon Recipes
If you enjoy these easy lemon cookies, I’m certain that you will love these easy recipes as well:
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- 15.25 ounce lemon cake mix (1 box)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- confectioners sugar optional
- In a large bowl, mix well to combine cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in powdered sugar, if desired. Place balls of cookie dough on baking sheets at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: Recipe updated 2/23/24 with added recipe notes, variations, and new photos. The original photos are below.