This baked mac and cheese is the ultimate homemade macaroni and cheese recipe. Perfectly creamy and cheesy, this mac and cheese casserole is sure to become a family favorite.
Rather not turn on the oven? This stovetop mac and cheese recipe is for you!
Best Baked Mac and Cheese
Whether you are looking for a comforting dinner recipe, holiday side dish, or potluck recipe, you will love this easy mac and cheese recipe!
While this is a from-scratch recipe, it really is easy to make and has minimal ingredients.
If you have never made homemade macaroni and cheese, this is something you should try. Ultra creamy, cheesy, and the pasta is perfectly cooked.
Want to turn your mac & cheese into a full dinner? Try our buffalo chicken mac and cheese!
How to Make Baked Mac and Cheese
Cook your pasta as directed on the box until the pasta is al dente. Drain the cooked pasta and return to the pot.
In another pot, you will want to add in your butter and melt. Then whisk in the flour and form a roux. Once it is creamy and well mixed add in your seasonings, milk, and cream. Whisk until it is all smooth.
Continue to cook for 4 minutes. When you reach that mark pour in the cheese and then once well melted and mixed, pour into your pasta.
Pour your macaroni and cheese into the greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake as directed in the recipe below.
Enjoy on its own or pair with your favorite main dishes, and dive in fork first!
What is the Best Cheese For Mac and Cheese?
For me I find that mixing your cheeses together offers layers of flavor. Personally, I reached for sharp cheddar and gruyere. But you are welcome to use whatever you would like.
The biggest thing I recommend is making sure you grate your cheese off the block. Bagged cheese has an extra coating that can make baked macaroni and cheese gooey and stringy.
What Goes With Mac and Cheese?
How Long To Bake Mac and Cheese
You will want to bake your mac and cheese for around 20-25 minutes. The biggest thing you are looking for is to create that golden-brown crust on top. The cheese will become golden and it is so delicious to dig into! Plus, as you bake your mac and cheese it610 becomes a bit thicker in texture.
How to reheat mac and cheese
You can reheat in the microwave for a quick reheat or opt for the oven. If you go to reheat in the oven, make sure that you cover the dish with aluminum foil. Or it will dry out too much as it bakes up.
Just heat until your mac is warmed all the way through.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Creamed Spinach | Fresh spinach leaves are the front and center of this side dish recipe. Tons of flavor, perfect texture, and an affordable and easy side.
- Creamed Corn | A classic side dish with sweet corn kernels in a cream sauce.
- No Mayo Coleslaw | Get creamy coleslaw without adding in mayo! Crispy homemade coleslaw in a creamy and delicious homemade sauce.
Baked Mac and Cheese
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cheese, shredded and divided (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 9” x 13” casserole dish; set aside.
- In a large pot, prepare the macaroni al dente according to the directions on the box. Drain well and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, grab another large pot and melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, whisk in flour to form a roux. Add paprika, salt, and pepper, to taste. Add milk and cream, whisking until smooth and well combined. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk in 3 cups cheese; continue whisking constantly until cheese has melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the drained macaroni. Stir until the macaroni has been evenly coated.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese on top is completely melted and golden brown.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.